Linkit ilman kuvaa korona sivulle
Coronavirus usually causes a sudden respiratory tract infection, the symptoms of which can vary from mild to severe and requiring hospitalisation.
Symptoms caused by coronavirus include headache, loss of smell or taste, head cold or blocked nose, cough, shortness of breath, loss of energy or fatigue, muscle pain, throat pain or irritated throat, fever, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you think you might have a coronavirus infection
If you have symptoms of a respiratory tract infection or suspect that you have been infected with coronavirus, you can take a home test.
If you are in a risk group for a serious coronavirus disease, you are pregnant or need to take a coronavirus test in health care for work reasons, make a symptom assessment in the Omaolo service: omaolo.fi.
For more detailed instructions on coronavirus tests, see: Coronavirus testing
Treatment of coronavirus disease
Coronavirus is comparable to other respiratory tract infections, and there is no longer any need for specific instructions on coronavirus.
In most cases, coronavirus infection can be treated at home, just as other acute respiratory tract infections. A mild coronavirus infection is treated in the same way as the common cold.
If the general condition gets worse or the symptoms are serious, contact health care: health station or emergency services 116117. In situations requiring immediate treatment, call the emergency number 112.
People in risk groups should contact health care services at a low threshold so that medical treatment can be started for coronavirus symptoms if necessary.
- For more detailed instructions on the treatment of coronavirus, see: Early medical treatment of a coronavirus infection
You can return to normal life when the fever is gone and the symptoms have clearly got better. This usually takes 3-5 days. The contagiousness of virus infections decreases rapidly after the symptoms start, even if the cold or cough continues longer.
Even if you had a coronavirus infection in your family, other family members can go normally to work, school, day care or hobbies if they have no symptoms.
The EU Digital COVID Certificate Regulation expired on 30 June 2023. You can still get a coronavirus certificate from MyKanta if you need one. See: MyKanta
Protect yourself against infections and prevent their spread
The vaccine is the best protection against coronavirus. The vaccine effectively prevents severe coronavirus disease.
Protect yourself and your family from infection:
- If you fall ill, stay at home until the symptoms have clearly got better. If you have to leave home when you are sick, you can wear a face mask if you wish.
- Wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer.
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue and put the tissue in the bin after use. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve, not into your hands.
- Assess your own risk, use a mask if necessary and keep a distance.
- Make sure that ventilation is adequate.